OST and PST files are Outlook data files that are used to save a local copy of mailbox items. While any Outlook profile, Exchange, or Office 365 account can open or import a PST file, an OST file can only be synced and accessed through an associated MAPI profile. OST files also can’t be imported into other Outlook, Exchange, or Office 365 profiles, unlike PST files. This instruction will also assist you in recovering mailbox items from inaccessible or orphaned OST files to PST, including lost or deleted mail items.
You may need to convert OST to PST as an Outlook user for a variety of reasons, including archiving or backing up your mailbox, migrating Outlook data, or lowering the size of your OST files. You might need to import or open mailbox items from an OST file that belongs to a deleted or disabled Outlook profile from time to time. Orphaned OST files are a type of OST file that hasn’t been used in a long time.
It’s necessary to convert an orphaned or unavailable OST file to a PST file in order to access mailbox items on another Outlook profile, Exchange, or Office 365 account.
Due to MAPI encryption, you cannot read, view, or import an orphaned OST file. You can export Outlook mailbox items from OST to PST from your active Outlook account using the Import-Export Wizard.
OST To PST Conversion Methods
There are two ways to convert an OST file to a PST file.
- Make use of the Outlook Options (Manual Method)
- Use OST to PST Converter Software to convert OST to PST (Automated Method)
Though the manual approach for converting inaccessible or orphaned OST files to PST
effectively, it does have certain drawbacks, which are mentioned below.
- It can convert items from an online OST to a PST file. When the OST file is inaccessible (offline) or orphaned, it won’t work.
- An active Outlook account is required, as well as access to the Import Export Wizard/Archive option.
- It skips damaged and deleted mailbox objects from the OST during export, which could result in data loss.
- It is not possible to recover deleted email messages.
- There is no way to separate huge PST files.
- With Converter for OST software, you can bypass these limits and even recover deleted or lost mailbox items. We’ve covered both offline and online OST to PST conversion methods below.
Method 1: Using Outlook Options to Convert Inaccessible or Orphaned OST Files to PST
Using Outlook settings, you can convert online OST to PST. When the Outlook profile is active and the OST file is accessible, this will work.
Using the Outlook Import Export Wizard, convert OST to PST.
- Open Microsoft Outlook and go to File > Open & Import > Import/Export from the File menu.
- Click Next after selecting Export to a file.
- To proceed, select Outlook Data File (.PST) from the drop-down menu and click Next.
- Click Next after selecting the mailbox items to export to PST.
- If necessary, click ‘Browse’ to alter the location and name of the PST file. Next, click the ‘Next’ button.
- Click the Finish button after selecting the ‘Do not replicate duplicate items’ checkbox.
- When prompted for a password, type it in and click ‘OK’ to convert OST to PST online and store it in your preferred location.
- Converts the Contacts folder to a format that is accessible.
- Conversion is simple and quick.
- In the PST file, damaged or deleted mail items are not saved.
- Creates a single big PST file that may become corrupt as a result of integrity problems.
- Converts orphaned OST to PST but do not convert orphaned OST to PST.
Method 2: Use a Professional OST to PST Converter to Convert OST to PST online.
All mailbox components of the OST file can be converted into PST format with 100 percent integrity using OST to PST Converter software, which can be used offline or online. Offline OST to PST converter software, however, offers advanced options for converting inaccessible or orphaned OST files to PST format without affecting the folder tree structure. It also recovers deleted mailbox items and transforms orphaned OST files.
Furthermore, unlike online OST to PST software, Converter for OST has comprehensive saving settings that allow you to lower the size of the PST file while also preventing it from becoming corrupted. You can either split and save the converted OST file as numerous PSTs or compress the PST file size by compressing the attachments or saving them as linked attachments in a different folder.
To convert and save OST to PST, Outlook includes alternatives such as Archive and Import/Export Wizard. These choices, however, are only available if Outlook and OST are both online and the profile is accessible. It’s recommended to utilize OST to PST converter software, such as Converter for OST if you have an orphaned OST file or need to convert a huge OST file to PST without risking data loss or corruption.
To convert OST to PST online, migrate mailbox items from one Outlook account to another, or backup Outlook emails, this professional program is the most practical and advanced alternative. It can automatically locate OST files on the devices and convert them to a PST file that can be accessed.
This software aids in the resolution of issues that cause Outlook users to become stuck as a result of exchange-related errors, allowing users to recover their email accounts without losing a single email item. You may test it out for free by downloading the demo version.