A VCP (VMware Certified Professional) certification demonstrates technical competence in the domain of VSphere V7 certification and associated technologies. To earn this certification, candidates should enroll in a VMware training course. The course can be taken online. As part of the selection process, candidates must demonstrate practical knowledge of VMware technologies. In addition, they are required to complete an exam in VMware vSphere Foundations, along with an elective course about the technology they intend to hone in.
Since March 10, 2014, VMware has instituted a policy of re-certification. After two years, it is necessary to retake the vSphere V7 Certification Exam since the VCP certification is valid for only two years. Hence, You will also need to pass an elective exam relevant to your certification.
Different levels of VMware certification
Until recently, the VCP was the sole VMware certification available. However, it now forms a component of a broader certification scheme that offers four specialized track options and four certification levels.
The listed areas of specialization are available to applicants:
- DCV (Data Center Virtualization): Demonstrates abilities in designing, installing, configuring, and managing VMware vSphere systems. It is essential to know about vSphere and other related technology. A VCP-DCV elective exam must be passed following the completion of a mandatory training program.
- NV (Network Virtualization): Demonstrates expertise in designing, installing, configuring, and managing VMware NSX environments. Working knowledge of NSX, VMware vSphere, and associated technologies is required. To take the VCP-NV exam, candidates must attend a training course.
- CMA (Cloud Management and Automation): Demonstrates expertise in installing, optimizing, and maintaining hybrid, private, and public clouds with VMware vRealize Suite. This position requires practical experience in vRealize, VMware vSphere, and associated technologies. To qualify for the VCP-CMA certification, candidates must complete a mandatory training program and take an optional exam.
- DTM (Desktop and Mobility): Demonstrates an understanding of the VMware Horizon Suite, including the installation, configuration, and management of virtual desktop environments. Experience working with Horizon, vSphere V7 certification, and related technologies is required. In addition to attending mandatory training, candidates must pass an optional exam to qualify as VCP-DTMs.
Various difficulty levels and requirements are associated with each of the four levels of certification. These include:
VCA (VMware Certified Associate):
VMware’s entry-level certification for virtualization and cloud technology. The VCA is intended for prospective VMware technology implementers who would like to demonstrate their proficiency in VMware technologies. Candidates must pass the VCA exam to become VCA certified. Examinees will be evaluated on their proficiency with VMware rather than their technical abilities.
VCA certification does not have any specific course requirements. However, VMware encourages candidates to prepare for the exam by taking a free online e-learning course. There is no proctoring for the VCA examination.
VCP (VMware Certified Professional):
A mid-level certification offered by VMware. Aside from the basic VMware Certified Professional certification, four additional VCP certifications are available: VCP-NV, VCP-DCV, VCP-DTM, and VCP-CMA. A non-proctored exam is offered for vSphere Foundations, while proctored examinations are offered for specialized electives.
VCAP (VMware Certified Advanced Professional):
An advanced-level certification from VMware. Candidates must acquire VCP certification before they can attempt VCAP certification. The VCAP exam comprises two parts: the VCAP Deployment exam and the VCAP Design exam. There are four distinct areas of specialization in the VCAP Deployment exam and three in the VCAP Design exam.
The list is as follows:
- VCAP-NV Deploy certification
- VCAP-DCV Deploy certification
- VCAP-DTM Deploy certification
- VCAP-CMA Deploy certification
- VCAP-CMA Design certification
- VCAP-DCV Design certification
- CAP-DTM Design certification
The exams are proctored separately according to the certification track and the certification option. In any case, candidates who pass both the VCAP Design and Deployment examination within a specific track will automatically earn the VCIX (VMware Certified Implementation Expert) credential. Although it is not a requirement, VMware suggests that candidates for the VCAP certification complete a training program.
- VCDX (VMware Certified Design Expert): This is the most advanced certification offered by VMware. VMware’s VCDX certification demonstrates an advanced ability to design, implement, and support VMware products.
VCDX certification is available in four tracks:
It is required that candidates for the VCDX certification also possess some prerequisites, including VCP and VCIX. Following the candidate’s successful completion of these certifications, an architecture plan for an advanced virtual infrastructure must be presented. Following the candidate’s acceptance of the plan, an expert panel of VCDX holders will review and evaluate it.
What is the best way to study for the test?
VCP exams consist of 85 questions in addition to a brief, eight-question pre-exam survey. The test may be completed within 90 minutes. VCP exams are graded on a scale of 100-500; a 300 score will qualify you to move on to the next level. VCP certification candidates who have failed to pass the proctored exam have to wait seven days before they can take the exam again. If you fail a non-proctored exam, the examination will not be repeated.
It costs $225 to sit for the VCP exam. There are additional fees for study materials and training courses. There is a VMware foundation exam preparation package in addition to a VMware certification preparation package for each of the specialized certification tracks. In-depth coverage of exam topics is included in these e-learning exam packages, which are presented by VMware trainers.
Therefore, Obtaining a VCP credential can enhance one’s career prospects. Many organizations that use VMware virtualization software require their administrators and technicians to possess certifications. Obtaining certification is an effective way of proving to clients that a potential employee has the required skills. The majority of VCP-certified candidates work as system administrators. Hence, These include IT managers and systems engineers.
Also Read: 7 Steps to Hiring a Python Developer